Uses in-game PS4 Pro settings, plus quick load times.
While Sony has suggested most PS4 games will work on PS5 via back compat (the new console is “99 per cent” backward compatible with the thousands of PS4 games Sony has tested on it, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan said in an interview with The Washington Post last month), it’s good to get confirmation of FF14’s status from Square Enix.
Producer and director Naoki Yoshida said when you play the PlayStation 4 version of the MMO on PS5, you’ll be able to use the in-game PS4 Pro display settings (FF14 on PS4 Pro lets you choose between a 4K mode and a performance mode), and the PS5 will “ensure quick load times”. The hope is FF14 on PS5 will run in 4K at 60 frames per second.
The announcement came as part of the reveal of Patch 5.4, dubbed Futures Rewritten. This is due out early December 2020 and adds a raft of new features, including a new Explorer Mode that lets players traverse Shadowbringers dungeons without the danger of enemies in order to take screenshots.
Patch 5.35 is due out 13th October. This is headlined by the latest chapter in the Save the Queen questline and features a story written by designer Yasumi Matsuno (Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 12).
- Modern Warfare is scaring the hell out of players with its Halloween update
- Fortnitemares 2020 features a Halloween concert from J Balvin
- Nintendo fans find Luigi hiding in Super Mario Bros. 35
- Dirt 5 is a PlayStation 5 launch title
- The Master Chief Collection runs up to 4K 120FPS on Xbox Series X
- Red Dead Online finally gets its Halloween Pass
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla expansions head to Ireland and Paris
- Breath of the Wild characters
- The Sims 4 prepares for a chilly winter with new Japan-themed Snowy Escape expansion
- Risk of Rain 2 gets its version 1.0 release on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch today