The game first came out in early access in December 2018, and during that time managed to sell over 700k units, but since the game’s full release on PC and Switch last Thursday that number has increased by over 300k.
“To all our Early Access players: Thank you so much,” Supergiant said on Twitter. “We designed Hades for Early Access, believing you could help us make a better game. That’s just what you did.”
Hades has now sold more than 1,000,000 copies.
700,000 of these were during our Early Access development. To all our Early Access players: Thank you so much. We designed Hades for Early Access, believing you could help us make a better game. That’s just what you did. #HadesGame pic.twitter.com/ueuG4lDMz8
— Supergiant Games ? HADES v1.0 is Out!! (@SupergiantGames) September 20, 2020
Perhaps it’s no wonder that Hades is seeing commercial success, as both players and critics have praised the game for its fast-paced combat and gorgeous visuals. “What’s surprising about Hades, to me at least, is how gutsy it is, how vitally in love with connection it is,” Christian Donlan wrote in Eurogamer’s review. “It lives to clobber. Room after room of hell. You turn up and wait for horrors. The horrors arrive and, jeepers, you shred them. You pulverise them. I have never felt so sorry for the stuff of nightmares.”
Importantly, you can also pet a three-headed dog.
Before working on Hades, Supergiant was known for several other acclaimed titles including Pyre, Transistor and Bastion. Hades was in early access for two years, but the time spent there clearly paid off – and was apparently a riot in its own right.
- Here’s when Ghost of Tsushima’s Legends Raid goes live
- PS4 loading times are improved as patches all but remove loading screens in first-party games
- One feels like it could be the first big battle royale game for VR
- The concept art for Atari’s new hotel chain looks like a cyberpunk video game
- Marvel at Mark Wahlberg’s marvellous moustache which may or may not be related to Uncharted’s Sully
- A strange UFO has appeared in the skies of Apex Legends
- Little Nightmares 2 cranks the disturbing dial right up for its new Halloween trailer
- Hilarious FIFA 21 bug sees players do their best Super Mario impression
- Snoop Dogg has a real-life Xbox Series X fridge
- Wicca is tower defence and the right kind of overwhelming