Just two weeks after removing the half distance lockdown bonus.
The addition – only the second time Pokémon Go has added a new distance class of egg to the game since its launch – comes just a couple of weeks after developer Niantic rolled back a couple of key lockdown bonuses, including a half hatch distance modifier for eggs.
A current week-long event to celebrate the permanent addition of Strange Eggs currently offers a more generous quarter hatch distance modifier – though this will disappear in seven days’ time.
Currently, Strange Eggs are the only way to obtain new arrivals to the game such as Pawniard, Vullaby and Sandile, each of which also have multiple evolutions to obtain.
But top fan reddit Silph Road has determined the Strange Egg pool to also contain largely-unwanted species such as Absol and Trubbish, which could also pop out of the egg after 12km.
Strange Eggs are obtained when fighting Team Rocket Leaders, the mini-bosses you must fight six Team Rocket grunts first in order to track down. You will also need an egg slot spare to receive a Strange Egg, which complicates things. Ensuring you have a spare egg slot requires you clear one first, and then keep it clear, which can be difficult when interacting on a PokéStop to fight Rocket characters.
Ahead of last night’s Strange Egg announcement, Niantic had suggested its tired selection of Pokémon available in eggs would be reshuffled. Currently, fan research suggests this did not happen, and only 12km eggs were introduced.
Eggs – and more specifically, their incubators – are one of Pokémon Go’s key methods of monetisation. The fact their various pools of contents and chances of hatching rarer creatures consistently remain opaque has attracted a good deal of criticism – including here on Eurogamer – particularly after the chances of hatching rarer creatures are observed to have been quietly changed behind the scenes.
We’ve contacted Niantic for more information on Strange Eggs, and their long-term usage in the game.
- Modern Warfare is scaring the hell out of players with its Halloween update
- Fortnitemares 2020 features a Halloween concert from J Balvin
- Nintendo fans find Luigi hiding in Super Mario Bros. 35
- Dirt 5 is a PlayStation 5 launch title
- The Master Chief Collection runs up to 4K 120FPS on Xbox Series X
- Red Dead Online finally gets its Halloween Pass
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla expansions head to Ireland and Paris
- Breath of the Wild characters
- The Sims 4 prepares for a chilly winter with new Japan-themed Snowy Escape expansion
- Risk of Rain 2 gets its version 1.0 release on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch today