Baldur’s Gate 3‘s character creator is pretty good. There are a number of fantastical races to pick from, there’s a cool surprise I won’t spoil, and while the number of heads and voices available in early access is limited, players have come up with some incredible designs.
Well, some players have, anyway.
In a post about Baldur’s Gate 3‘s latest hotfix on Steam, developer Larian lamented the fact the most popular choices in character creation resulted in just about the most generic man you could imagine. Or, as Larian put it: “the default Vault Dweller.”
“Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation,” Larian said.
“We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.
“Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!”
As Larian points out, Baldur’s Gate 3 offers a raft of races as a foundation for experimentation. The elves, humans and dwarves look as you’d expect of a fantasy role-playing game, but you’ve also got the devil-like Tieflings, the dark elf-esque Drow, the leathery-skinned Githyanki, Half-Elves and the Hobbit-like Halflings to mess about with. I mean, just look at this:
— That raven from the poem (@Valskuiken) October 9, 2020
And look at this beauty our Zoe drummed up for her playthrough of Baldur’s Gate 3:
(Here’s the playthrough, by the way. Check it out, it’s a lot of fun!)
Despite all that’s on offer, most Baldur’s Gate 3 players, it seems, just make… themselves? Or a character who looks like they want to look (Tyler Durden style). I’m guessing that’s what’s going on, anyway.
There’s nothing wrong with this approach, of course, and I think Larian is having a bit of fun with its post. But the next time you dip in to Baldur’s Gate 3, perhaps consider creating something… a little out of the ordinary. I expect the developers will appreciate it, at least.
- Modern Warfare is scaring the hell out of players with its Halloween update
- Fortnitemares 2020 features a Halloween concert from J Balvin
- Nintendo fans find Luigi hiding in Super Mario Bros. 35
- Dirt 5 is a PlayStation 5 launch title
- The Master Chief Collection runs up to 4K 120FPS on Xbox Series X
- Red Dead Online finally gets its Halloween Pass
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla expansions head to Ireland and Paris
- Breath of the Wild characters
- The Sims 4 prepares for a chilly winter with new Japan-themed Snowy Escape expansion
- Risk of Rain 2 gets its version 1.0 release on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch today